Friday, January 25, 2013

#6 How to Write a Song

Hey Guys so a "How To" I haven't really seen too much about is How to Write a Song. Luckily for you I happen to know an up and coming R&B/ Pop singer songwriter, Ashley Martinez, and she gave me an interview about what she does when its time to write a hit song.

From a very young age Ashley, now 23, was interested in music and singing. She was singing since she was 5 but has been writing songs since she was 13, which makes her a great go to person for this how to.

The interview is as follows:

Ellie: What do you do to prepare before you write a song?

Ashley: Well, before I even sit to write I have to first be in the mood to write, otherwise the song sounds forced. I make sure that I have a quiet place where I can be free to just write and explore the music. Oh, I can't be dressed up. I'm usually in track pants with my hair in a bun and no makeup. haha

Ellie: So once you find the perfect place to write and are comfortable do you just write things down?


Ashley: No, before I even pick up a pen I just listen to the beat. I imagine a situation where the music will fit, and how I see myself in the song.  Once I get into the feel of song I start putting melodies to the beat. Once I have a melody down, THATs when I start writing. 

Ellie: Before we go into the content of the song or your inspiration, what are the different parts that make up a song, and which part do you think is the most important. 

Ashley: There are 6 different parts of a song
  • Intro: I usually start off without words, basically I introduce the melody and lead into the words with just my voice
  • Verse: There are two verses in a song; the first is after the intro, the second between the chorus and the bridge. This is the real meat of the song, where you tell a story. 
  • Pre-Chorus: The pre-chorus is usually the catchy build up to the chorus. It's where you grab peoples attention
  • Chorus: The chorus is where you show the theme of the song. This is the part that sticks in your head, and what most people like or remember of the song. The chorus is sung twice, here and after the bridge. 
  • Bridge: Usually the bridge is after the second chorus, but this depends on the song. Use your own creative feel to find the right place to put this. I think its the most important part because its the part that stands out because it has to be totally different from everything else
  • Out-tro: This is just where you fade out of the song, just something to show that the song is done.  Sometimes you use the chorus to fade out, and sometimes you don't have to use any words at all. 
Ellie: Now that we know the form of a song, how do you decide what to write about? What do you use to draw inspiration?

Ashley: For me, I use my personal experiences, and feelings to find the words. The words you choose are used to tell the story of the music.  

Ellie: A lot of people get stuck in trying to find rhyming words to write a song, and get stuck because they can't find the right words to rhyme. What are your thoughts on rhyming?

Ashley: Well I rhyme in all my songs, it just helps the song flow better. Try not to get stuck in which specific words to use, or if they can't rhyme. Play around with the words and you will find that your first choice was not the best or only option.

Ellie: What do you think is the most important part of writing a song?

Ashley:  

"The most important part of writing a song is to have a creative mind and take risks"

Ellie: So have you had writers block, and if so what do you do to get out of it?

Ashley:  Oh..I hate when that happens, but I usually get up, walk around, clear my mind and come back to it after 10 min. If that doesn't work I usually just freestyle with the beat and it usually gets me back on track

Ellie: If you could give advice to beginner songwriters what would you say? 

Ashley:  
  • Write the song more than once (different melody, words etc.) you will be surprised that the way you wrote it the first time isn't always the best 
  •  Work with other songwriters, you will be shocked about how much you can learn by working with other artists  
  •  Get into a creative mind, out of the box thinking, and just be free with your music 
  •  "When you song write you CAN'T be SHY" 
Ellie: So I hear you have been really busy lately; what have you been doing in the music world?

Ashley: I have been so busy during the last year. Currently I am working with two different producers, J. Staffz and Baby Paul, just working on some songs, in the studio and writing like crazy. I have been featured by Hip Set, which is awesome. What I am really excited about is collaborating on a song with Mike Baggz which is going to be HOT. Look out for it! 



Ellie: What's with all the activity on your social media about having a chance to go to the Grammys?


Ashley: Yeah! basically I came across Akon's twitter page, where he has an emerging artist competition where the winner could go and perform at the Grammys. I submitted my song and out of about 30, 000 people I got picked for top 10. 

Ellie: So how do we get you there? 


Ashley: Well to go hitlab.com, click on the Emerging Artist Competition, find me there, Ashley Martinez, listen to my songs and vote. All you need to do is sign in through a social media account click vote and you are done. Remember, you can vote every day so please vote and please tell your friends and family.

Ellie: So has the added exposure of this opportunity helped you in any way?

Ashley: For sure, I actually got contacted by Chris from B101 radio station to do an interview about this opportunity, because he saw my posts on Facebook asking people to vote for me. (Full interview here)

Well there you have it, expert advice from someone who has been doing this for 10 years.

If you want to know more about Ashley or listen to her music:

Find her Facebook here

Find her Twitter here

Find her Music here

But most importantly vote for her here! She will love you for it!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview/post. It takes a lot more work than you think to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete