Monday, January 21, 2013

#4 How to draw a manga character

I don't know about you guys but when I think of modern Japanese culture I think of Manga or Anime. As a kid I would try and try to draw a Manga character and could never succeed as much as I would hope. As I grew older I would try to follow numerous "how to" videos or articles but none have really helped me, until now.

Today I came across a YouTube channel by Mark Crilley that has a large array of "how to draw manga" videos. I found them really helpful and brought up points that novice artists would primarily have questions about.


Today I tried out two of his videos.


#1 How to Draw a Chibi: Winking, Peace Sign




Below is my representation of the Chibi girl. Its not perfect (especially the hand) but it is much farther than I was every able to go by myself.




#2 How to Draw a "Big-Eyed" Manga Girl


This next one was a moment for me because never to this point was I able to create a manga character that looked so true to the style. I didn't really focus too much into the shading but you can get the idea. 



If you like this style and want to try it out I urge you to try out one of Mark Crilley's videos. Peace out and happy drawing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment